Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My Boy

I can't put into words how proud I am of my Luke. This kid has come such a looong way in the past two years. He has always been a tender and loving boy, but I have really been enjoying some of his most recent acts.

Lately, as soon as he steps foot in the house, after a long day at school, he is instantly shouting for me! "Momma......Momma!!" And then, as soon as he sees me, he gives me the biggest bear hug. I absolutely LOVE it.

At any given time, almost daily, he will come up to me out of the blue, with a big hug and tells me he loves me. Is that not sweet or what?? Maybe he knows that is exactly what I've been needing lately because I have really been missing my mom a lot. Luke is at the age where I start to have memories of my mom and how loved I always felt. I want Luke to have those same feelings when he looks back at this time in his life.

I remember coming home from Kindergarten and it just being Mom and I at home. All of the other kids where still at school. I remember the "afternoon snacks" she would make for me and how she would watch Sesame Street with me. She would lay down with me while I was falling asleep when it was time for my afternoon nap.

I have accepted the fact that my mom is in a better place now, but I still miss her like crazy. I hate not being able to hear her laugh at something my boys have done or said. The last few times she sang "Noma's song" to Luke, she would have tears rolling down her face. She knew and I knew that she wasn't going to be able to do that much longer.

I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing "Noma stories" with Luke, since he has no memory of her now. He asked me last night as we were on our way to the store..."Do you remember when Noma would peek at me through her bed rails?!". (She spent her last couple of weeks in a hospital bed in my parents' family room and would play peek-a-boo with Luke.)

I hope these memories never fade. I know Luke will never forget anything I've told him. That kid has an AMAZING memory! I will probably have to rely on him within the next few years, I'm sure!

I love you, my sweet boy Luke. I know Noma would be proud of you and the big boy that you've become.

1 comment(s):

Trisha said...

My heart goes out to you, I can't imagine how hard it must be. Thank goodness for your little angels that remind you that just because she's not here physically doesn't mean she hasn't left a part of herself behind.